Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Some new vocabulary

Here are a couple of words and phrases I've been hearing on the boat. I know there are more, but I can't remember them at the moment.


Weep Holes: These are the holes to allow water to run to a main drain. They were pointed out to me in the engine room where they let water flow between the raised sections of the floor.

Stringer: I first heard this term in connection to building surfboards. It is the long piece of wood that runs the length of the otherwise foam board, giving it strength. In a boat, and I imagine many other things, it is similar. A long piece of wood running lengthwise for strength.

Finger: This is the section of the dock that branches out from the main walkway. The fingers form the edges of a slip (where boats a tied up).

Lazaret: My boss kept using this term to refer to a specific aft under-deck compartment. According to the internet, it is "a storage space between the decks of a ship." It also is a name for a maritime quarantine station or a hospital for people with contagious diseases. Who knew!

No comments: